When deciding on a new anal toy there are a couple of important key points to remember for ultimate comfort and safety. There are quite a few different shapes, sizes, and for the most part they will be more pleasurable for different reasons. I’m going to explain the difference between beads, and plugs – from there I will go into more depth about plugs, and the benefits of them.
The Difference Between Plugs and Anal Beads
There are a few different types of anal toys: plugs and beads are the two main choices for women. You can also look into vibrating or non-vibrating plug and bead options. I’ll explain the difference between the two – then you can decide if the plug is definitely the one you’re interested in trying.
The biggest difference between the two is going to be the affect it will have on your body, as well as your orgasm.
Anal beads are using during intercourse and foreplay by sliding the beads in and out, feeling each textured ball go in is a good way to arouse your partner. The biggest advantage to the beads is that if you pull them out mid-orgasm, it will make your orgasm more intense. Basically, right when you hit that peak and your orgasm starts to crash down on you – start pulling out the beads slowly, then a little bit faster. Exploring and trying different ways to use them is going to be the best bet on figuring out what you like best.
Anal plugs which is what I’m going to talk to you about today are going to be more benefitting during intercourse, rather than orgasm – and is a good way to build up to having anal intercourse in the most comfortable manner.
Benefits of Using Anal Plugs
I’ll explain a littler further – the biggest benefit to using a plug during intercourse is that when you have your plug inserted in the anus, it will push the vagina wall in to feel more tighter, and it makes your g-spot easier for your partner or toy to hit. The wall between the vagina and anus is very thin, so while using a plug its going to fill the anus and push into the wall that separates the vagina and anus making your vagina feel tighter, and making your g-spot more accessible.
Make Anal Sex More Comfortable
First off if you are worried about being clean invest in a douche, or an enema. They are cheap and will help clean you out quick and easily.
Second, it’s important to start with fingers. Starting anal in general can be scary and rather intimidating. Warming up into it will make this more comfortable, and pleasurable for you, so that you want to try it again. Rather than just having that one bad experience, and never wanting anything back there again.
Usually a man has a little bit of larger fingers, so it’s important to start one at a time, and leave it in for at least a few minutes to let your body really adjust to the size and affect of having something inside your anus. (Use lubricant when inserting anything into your butt – whether it’s a toy, finger, or penis!!!)
Something to remember during this process is that it shouldn’t hurt. If at any time you start feeling pain, and feel like you can’t handle it – stop! The first initial pressure of inserting something for the first time will feel different and a little uncomfortable, but after some time and adjusting to the size – it will get more comfortable, as well as pleasurable.
After using fingers and want to move into plugs to really start adjusting to be able to have anal sex comfortably you can start small. Take your fingers or your partners fingers and put two together and find a plug about that size. It should be small enough so that when you insert it – it shouldn’t be painful.
When playing around in the back door area it is extremely important to look for a toy made of either medical grade silicone, or triple-fired borosilicate glass. These two materials specifically will ensure the toys you play with are non-porous and won’t harvest bacteria.
Especially when dealing with anal toys, you don’t want to deal with any products that will contain and encompass the bacteria’s if not washed thoroughly enough. Jelly and rubber materials are definitely ones to stray away from, just for the fact that they are very porous materials. They can easily tear and harvest bacteria.
Desensitizing sprays and Creams
Out on the market these days multiple companies have come up with their own desensitizing anal spray to make anal sex with a partner, or a toy more pleasurable without all the pain.
I think the concept is a great idea, but be very careful to look into what they’re using to desensitize you. A lot of those brands will come up with these creams or sprays will use Benzocaine or Lidocaine. I highly suggest staying away from products that use too much of those numbing agents. (Main examples: Anal Ease, Comfortably Numb Anal Desensitizing Cream, etc.).
The main reason I suggest to shy away from those products is just because they put too much of a numbing agent in their creams and sprays – to the point where if you apply it to the anus and then start using your plugs, or have anal sex – you’re not going to know if it was painful or not until after it wears off. If it was painful you could experience some severe discomfort for the next few days, and are more likely not want to try it again.
Use A Relaxing Lube Instead
Instead of using a desensitizing spray or cream – try using a relaxing lubricant. Instead of a numbing agent, they will use an ingredient to relax the anus to make it easier for penetration, without numbing you out. This way you can still feel everything that is happening, and if anything is too painful you will know when to stop.
Pjur Backdoor Glide is probably one of the more popular brands that I recommend for a fantastic anal relaxing lubricant. Pjur uses jojoba extracts to naturally help relax the sphicter instead of a numbing agent. They also use hyaluron, a natural ingredient we have in the body, but Pjur uses it in their Backdoor Glide for hydrating and healing purposes.
They have a water-based option, and a silicone option. Depending on the material of your anal toy will determine which one to use. If you are using anything that is silicone, jelly, or rubber materials I would suggest the Pjur Water-Based Backdoor Glide. Just for the fact that the silicone lube would eat away at the materials – it’s bad for it.
If you’re using glass, stainless steel, or Tantus (which are made of 100% medical grade silicone) you can try the Pjur Silcone-Based Backdoor Glide. The nice thing about silicone is where as water-based lube tends to absorb into the skin, and you may end up having to reapply consistently (because you don’t make your own personal lubricant anally) – a silicone sits on top.
Meaning – you will use a really small amount of silicone lube, and it will go a really long way. Just don’t use too much, otherwise it will feel greasy. It will be a little more clean up, but it’s almost worth it with anal for the single fact you won’t have to keep reapplying lube.
If you really prefer to try a desensitizing spray instead of the lube, try one’s like Intimate Organics Adventure Relaxing Spray, or Pjur Backdoor Relaxing Spray that will do that same as the lube just in spray form.
The Base to Your Anal Toy
The most important thing to know when using anal toys is that you want them to have some sort of base that is sturdy, and will keep your anal toy from getting sucked into the anus. Nobody likes to make those type of emergency room trips.
As much control as you have with the outer sphincter and pushing out, the inner sphincter has a mind of its own, it is completely involuntary, and in constant state of maximal contraction. Basically meaning that it likes to suck things into the anus, and you won’t be able to get it out.
It is VERY important you look for an anal toy that has a good base to keep it from going anywhere.
- Tantus is a very good brand when it comes to anal toys. They’re 100% medical grade silicone – basically the most sanitary you can get apart from glass.
- Shape and size of this toy is perfect for beginners, not too intimidating, and is about the size of a small finger.
- Diameter: 1″ Length: 4.25″
- Good wide base to keep it in place, and ensuring it doesn’t get lost where you don’t want it to.
- It starts off really small around the tip, and gains the tiniest bit of girth as you go further down the toy.
- If you’re a beginner this will definitely give you at least a little bit of a full feeling back there, which can be very erotic feeling during intercourse.
- To clean it try to use anti-bacterial alcohol-free soaps. You can also bleach it, or even put it in the dishwasher.
- The Tantus Slim can be used with water-based or silicone-lubricant. (Tantus has been tested with Pjur silicone lube, but that’s the only one I’m aware of. If you want to try your Tantus Slim with a silicone lubricant definitely use Pjur’s.)
LYNK Pleasure Vibrating Anal Plug
- The LYNK Pleasure Vibrating Anal Plug is a great starter for someone who wants to try vibrating!
- Great size for beginners – should be a smooth transition from fingers, to this plug.
- Vibrating can help loosen the anal muscles while inserting it making very pleasurable, but something to keep in mind is that it can be a little distracting.
- More tapered shape helps its stay in place while using other toys to play with, or during intercourse.
- Overall Length: 5″ Insertable Length:3.5″ Widest Girth On Tip: 1.25″
- Multi-Use! The bullet that is inserted in the bottom of the toy is what makes it vibrate. You can actually take the bullet out if you don’t like the vibration, and just use it as a little clitoral vibrator.
- Try inserting it while its vibrating, and also try without it vibrating. Trying both will help you decide what you like better.
- Base of plug is curved upwards – tends to form to the body better, and more comfortably.
- Could also be used as a prostate massager for men interested in anal play. Good shape and size to comfortably hit the p-spot while vibrating, which can definitely make his orgasm more intense.
- Use water-based lubricant only – no silicones or oils. They will eat away at the material overtime, it’s really bad for the toy.
Gydoy 4pc Anal Plug Set
- The Gydoy 4pc Anal Plug Set is a great option for the fact that it gives you multiple different sized and shaped toys to try out:2 sets of plugs & 2 sets of beads.
- Both the smaller plug and bead are great choices for starting anal, but still could use a little more lube when inserting for the fact that they still look a bit larger than the other options listed.
- Great flared base that forms to the body, so you don’t have to worry about getting anything lost up there.
- Silicone material – very sanitary, and easy to clean!
- Great for beginners, but also perfect for the intermediate anal plug user.
- Although it says water-based or silicone lubricant can be used – I would still suggest only using water-based lube.
- Larger plug and bead both look like a great next size for after the smaller toys – great for someone who’s looking to gain girth to be able to take larger sizes faster.
- Pulling out beads mid orgasm will make it more intense. If you get this set I would suggest trying out the smallest one first – which would be the smaller beaded one. After that one you should feel good about trying the smallest plug. From there I would suggest the larger bead, then the larger plug. This would be the smoothest and most comfortable transition I would suggest from smallest to biggest.
- 30 day money back guarantee!
Bestimulus 3Pcs Metal-plated Heart Anal Plugs
- The Bestimulus 3Pcs Metal-plated Heart Anal Plugs are one of my favorites for the fact that not only do they come with 3 sizes – but they’re beautiful!
- Featured on the base of the plug is a fun, dazzling gem-stone like heart to give this plug a little more oomph.
- Comes in three sizes which are perfect for anyone – whether you’re starting out or even a frequent anal fan. The largest size gets quite girthy, and pushes that full feeling, without going too over the top to where its painful.
- Sizes: Small Plug: 2.95″ x 1.1″ Medium Plug: 3.35″ x 1.3″ Large Plug: 3.74″ x 1.57″
- Wider base does a great job of keeping your plug in, while the end is tapered to perfection to make sure your plug stays in place.
- Comfortable enough to leave in for however long you like – since the base is pretty flush, a lot of people get pleasure from wearing them around all day – even during errands!
- Very safe non-toxic materials, made from aluminum alloy metals, zinc, and silicone! Odorless, sanitary, and extremely easy to clean!
- The jeweled anal plugs are very popular right now for the fact that they are aesthetically pleasing when using them with a partner.
Utimi Wild Stainless Steel White Fox’s Tail’s Butt Plug
- Known a little bit more in the fetish community, the plugs with tails have become more mainstream in that last few years.
- The Utimi Wild Stainless Steel White Fox’s Tail’s Butt Plug is a great option for those looking to explore more in roleplay, as well as thinking outside the box when it comes to exploring different plugs.
- People who like to experiment with tails tend to have issues with the fluffiness of the tail. This is by far one of the fluffiest tails you will find on Amazon.
- Smaller sized plug – if you’re a beginner you will still definitely get a full feeling when inserted. If you’re a little more advanced – you will still get a full feeling, just not as much as if it were a larger plug.
- Stainless steel plug is extremely sanitary, and easy to clean. You can warm it up in warm water, if not it will be a little cold during insertion.
- Tail is quite long, bushy, and beautiful! Very soft and quite sexy looking!
- Plug Size – Length: 2.75″ Diameter 1″ at thickest Full Length Including Tail: 16″
- A few people have issues with the tail falling off sometimes – which happens with most plugs that come with tails. My suggestion is that if it happens – buy some super glue, and glue that sucker back in there.
Cleaning Your Toys
Just know when purchasing an anal toy most will say you can clean them with soap and water. Please know that when cleaning your toys with soap and water, a lot of the time the alcohol in the soap will dry out the material, and can leave little nicks and tears. In the end it will break apart faster on you, and the nicks and tears left in the material can harvest bacteria.
It is important that you keep your toys clean and in good condition – especially the one’s you’re inserting into your butt. Use a good anti-bacterial toy cleaner that is alcohol free – preferably a foaming cleaner. It will get into the knooks and cranies better and give you a good clean so that you never have to worry about your anal toys falling apart or getting gross
JO Toy Cleaner is a great anti-bacterial foaming cleaner that works thoroughly, and continuously happens to be one of the bests in my opinion. Rinse your toy with lukewarm water, pump on one to two pumps of your Jo cleaner, disperse a thick amount evenly around the plug, then rise, and let air dry.
Extremely quick, and easy – just make sure to only use one to two pumps unless its a larger toy – otherwise you will waste it, and go through it very quickly. Also let it air dry then store – some dry it with a towel but you get little particles and hairs from the towel that stick to the toy. Always wash again before use as well – dusk can collect and you don’t want to make sure your toys are clean before inserting them into your body.